Visual Participatory Culture in and out of Singapore Schools
Visual Participatory Culture explores intersections between visual culture and participatory culture. The project is powered by an innovative media application called VisuaPedia that provides a collaborative studio in which students with a passion for art can bring their imagined worlds to animated life. VisuaPedia supports group and individual projects around innovative digital production tools for drawing and animation. It also integrates social media tools into cloud computing platform for circulating creative productions. By combining compelling artistic methods with narratives developed for and by youth, VisuaPedia organizes a digital storytelling process that engages both new literacies of the 21st century and disciplinary traditions from the visual arts. In this way, VisuaPedia’s learning processes inspire youth to draw, color, and animate; enable youth to collaborate, create, and share; and empower them to participate, engage, and contribute.
- Cloud-based drawing and animation platform
- Multi-user production tools developed by NTU School of Computer Engineering.
- Living library of user-generated productions to explore, share, remix, and curate.
- Real-time collaborations using a group canvas that eliminates barriers of time and space.
- Develop learning & assessment frameworks and accompanying design principles that synergize social media and digital production tools to support collaborative and self-directed learning.
- Catalyze and document patterns of participatory culture among Singapore youth through project- and competition-based activities.